I’ve avoided talking about my obsession with decoration fancy sugar cookies here on Prudent Baby because, well, I just don’t find them very prudent. They are tedious. They are time-consuming. They are temperamental. But with that said, they are totally addictive to make and there is nothing quite like the delight on a toddler’s face when you hand them an edible work-of-art. People, I’m here to confess, I dream about decorating sugar cookies.
The other day I ordered this book that had been floating around in the old Amazon wishlist for a while. I was ordering my book club book and was under the $25 to qualify for free shipping, you know how it goes.
This book is amazing! Full of information that I had always wondered about… the perfect way to pack sugar cookies for shipping, the fact that you can not only freeze cookie dough in balls, but un-baked cut cookies and also baked cookies, with no damage. This book is full of helpful tips of wonder and amazement!
So since Christmas is upon us and if you are ever going to try royal icing, now is the time, I’m going to share the top 10 things I think you need to jump in. This “kit” would make a fun gift for someone interested in getting started.
10 Tools/Supplies for Fancy Sugar Cookie making and the details of our first giveaway after the jump.
1. A good recipe. This is the one that I use regularly.
2. #2 tips – it’s handy to have at least 4 (any craft dept)
3. Couplers – it’s handy to have at least 4 (any craft dept)
4. Disposable decorating bags (any craft dept)
5. Meringue powder (any craft dept) – I use the Royal Icing recipe in the Wilton can but add a touch of lemon juice for flavor.
6. Gel food coloring – Americolor is the best and is only available online and at decorating specialty shops. Bakeitpretty.com carries it.
7. Squeeze bottles (any craft dept)
8. cookie cutters
9. Rolling pin guide rings (or cookie slats)
10. Spatulas – a small tapered spatula and a long angled spatula
Oh, and let’s not forget a copy of Cookie Craft: From Baking to Luster Dust, Designs and Techniques for Creative Cookie Occasions by Valerie Peterson and Janice Fryer
Which brings us to the giveaway. Leave a comment, telling us what your favorite holiday cookie is by 11:59 CT on Tuesday, December 1, 2009 to be entered to win your very own copy of this great book! WE HAVE A WINNER, THANKS EVERYONE FOR PLAYING ALONG! A book that we are buying with our own money because we love you (and this book) that much. Whatever, it’s only $12.32 but we still love you. The winner will be chosen at random and announced on Wednesday December 2nd. Open to US residents only. One entry per person.
These gals also have NEW book. Cookie Craft Christmas: Dozens of Decorating Ideas for a Sweet Holiday I think I’ll add it to the wishlist!