What Color Should I Paint This Mirror?

Ladies!  I picked up this awesome mirror at Goodwill for $19.99.  I’ve been looking for the perfect mirror for above the fireplace, Score!  But I can’t decide what color to paint it, or if I should paint it at all.

It’s hardwood and I kind of like the dirty bronze sheen, but up close, it’s a little grungy as you can see:

Our living room has a distinctive turquoise couch, so I’m not sure which way to go. White? Silver? Gold? Bright red? Mustard yellow?

If you really want to take this assignment seriously, there are a ton more photos of the living room in question on my Apartment Therapy Home Tour.

Please weigh in down in the comments. Your feedback could even win you this week’s best-comment prize, that Aleene’s Tacky Pack! XOXO

Lisa

I love red but I have to go with mustard yellow here – I am obsessed with yellow/gold lately & I think it would look great in this room. Gorgeous room! I love your Polish salt & pepper people too.

ashablueb

I have an oval mirror sitting around waiting to be painted too. I am planning on doing a bright lacquer red. I think it would go great in your living room.

Kimberly

Oh I love it as is! But if you were to change it, a very dark silvery grey would be cool, or a bright pop of color perhaps bright orange to match the other bright pops.

Aja

Stay with the gold. It might take away from the beauty of the frame if you paint it another color. A fresh coat would surely liven it up!

{ to be charmed }

Oh my gosh that couch is amazing! I'd have to go with Turquoise topped with a light coating of walnut stain to give it a slight distressed look. On a completely separate topic, where are the decorative pillows?! Hmmm, perhaps there will be a tutorial on decorative pillow around the corner?! 😉

doddroad

I sometimes go into paralysis when it comes to picking colors. I don't want to mess up and choose the "wrong" one (forgetting that I can always change it). So, this situation is no different (except it's not MINE). I'm feeling a little orange-y on this one.

Modern Survivor

I had a gold 1970's mirror that I have been thinking the same things about. I have mentally decided to try using black crackle paint over the gold so that the gold will peak through and I won't lose the character. Is crackle painting out? I think it would be spectacular!