How to Make Fabric Slippers with Free Pattern

Homemade slippers, what could be cozier? After all, The Season of Cozy is upon us.

These are non-slip slippers and they have a super comfy minky lining. I’ll tell you all about how to make them non-slip and how to make a sole, along with a free pattern, so you too can get cozy.

And I had fun making the Rolled Fabric Flowers we posted last week as little embellishments. Gorg, right?

Get the full How to Make Slippers Tutorial and Free Slipper Pattern after the jump…

And remember, leave a comment on this or any post this week and you might win yourself some fabric glue!

How to Make Fabric Slippers with Free Pattern

So you’ll need a few things to get started. You’ll need some fabric for the outside and the lining. I used pretty Anna Maria Horner Folksy Flannel Fortune in Marine, and this AMAZINGLY luxurious Minky – Moda Snuggles Whimsy in Butter (seriously the nicest minkee i have ever touched) as the lining. I think they look pretty cute together, right?

You’ll also need some 1/4″ elastic, less then a yard (for size 9 feet you’ll need 22 inches -2 pieces each 11″ long- to be exact).

Now, you can skip an insole but your slippers won’t be very comfy, so what’s the point in that. So buy a pair of these in your size: washable insoles.

And then to have a nice non-slip bottom pick up some of this (you can make about 3 pairs with this $3 package): Jiffy Grip.

1.  So download the free slipper pattern and print it out here: Prudent Baby Slipper Pattern.  It’s for my feet which are a massive size 9.  So to edit it, you can make them shorter by cutting a bit out of the middle of the sole.  If you cut out an inch, then also cut out an inch on the length of the side piece.  I hope that makes sense.  But at the end of the day, these are slippers and they have an elastic top, so they are very flexible when it comes to sizing.  You can also use a slipper or shoe that fits you to create your own pattern, using ours as a guideline.  So get the Free Prudent Baby Slipper Pattern here.

2.  Now you need to trace and cut out your pattern pieces.  For the sole you need 2 pieces in Jiffy Grip, 2 pieces in batting (or more batting pieces if you want them even cozier), and 2 of your lining (minky in my case).  These slippers aren’t right foot/left foot just to keep it simple.  Then for the slipper upper you need two pieces of lining and two pieces of outer fabric (flannel in my case):

3.  Now grab one of your outer pieces and fold it in half right sides facing and sew up the straight edge.  This is your heel:

Lay one piece of batting, then put your jiffy grip on top of it, right (bumpy) side up:

Then take your upper and pin it right side facing to the sole, through the jiffy grip and batting. Start by pinning the center of the heel, then the center of the toe, then the center of the sides, so it all stays nicely aligned:

Continue to pin, edges aligned, all the way around:

Sew near the edge with a straight stitch, then trim your edges:

When you turn it inside out it will look like this, you’ve made the shoe outer:

4.  Now we repeat with the lining for the same foot.  Fold the upper in half and sew the heel together along the straight edge:

Put the lining sole right side up, then pin the lining upper to it, right sides facing:

This time sew almost all the way around with a straight stitch, but leave the base of the heel open, backstitching at the beginning and end:

5.  Now make sure your outer shoe is inside out:

And the lining is right side out:

Fit the lining into the shoe (now right sides are facing) and pin at the heel with the seams open:

Pin all the way around the shoe opening:

Sew in place at the edge with a straight stitch all the way around, then trim your edge:

6.  Now reach in the hole in the lining of the heel and turn your slipper right side out:

We need to sew a channel around the top for our elastic.

So start on one side of the heel seem, back stitch, sew all the way around the shoe opening about 1/4-1/2″ down from the seam, stopping a little on the other side of the heel so there’s an opening to thread your elastic through like so:

7.  Now grab your elastic (mine was 11″ – start longer then cut it if you need to after trying it on) and go through the hole in the heel lining to thread it all the way around the channel we just sewed:

Pull it out the other side through the opening in the heel.  Try it on, see how long you need it to be:

Sew it together with a zig zag:

Push it back into the casing and sew the opening between your casing start and finish point closed:

8. Now pop open the hole in the lining of the heel:

Push your shoe insert in:

And sew the hole closed.  You could slip stitch but this is the inside of a slipper, I wasn’t stressing the finishing details, so I just closed it with a straight stitch on my sewing machine:

Push your shoe back into place.  Now make some rolled fabric flowers or pom poms or what-have-you for decoration (or none, whatever your pleasure) and sew them on.

Finished and it feels so good!

Oh wait, I forgot to mention you have to start all over and make a second shoe. That’s the thing with shoes.  And pillows.  And earrings.  So anyway, make another one.  OK, now you’re done.

Cozy up!

I can’t wait to make a tiny matching pair for Scarlet!  And i can’t wait to see some pictures if you decide to make these!

Veloy H.

I was so excited to make these slippers, but no matter what I do or how hard I try I cannot bring up the actual pattern.

I keep going through the tutorial to see if I am missing something, but the same page keeps coming up.

Please help me. I would love to make these slippers.

Anne from NJ

Make sure you scroll down. The link is under the picture of the jiffy grip. I had the same problem.

Slippers | Cozytown Linens Blog

[…] felt and some thread. They could also be decorated with some creative embellishments or ribbon. This is another cute pattern for slippers. They require a little more material, but are a little more substantial, and likely to […]

cilla

Please could you help me to find the pattern for the fabric slippers. I have looked and cannot find the pattern pieces . I was sooooooo looking forward to making them. Hope you can assist me. regards, Cilla

WeAllSew « http://weallsew.com

[…] What could be cozier on Christmas day than a pair of handmade slippers? This is another great project from Jaime, one of the gals at Prudent Baby. Get Jaime’s Fabric Slipper how-to with pattern from Prudent Baby.  […]

Michelle

Michelle

Just made these for a Christmas present but the pattern is a little off, at least the way I did it so I would recommend you make it about half a size larger than you think you need it so you will save a lot of trouble like I did!! They did come out adorable in the end!

Mary

I can not wait to make these for myself. I use to have a pair that I loved, but they wore-out and I have not been able to find in my size 10. found this on pinterest. Thank you for the great step-by-step.

Liddie

The tutorial for this project made these slippers a joy to make. I commend the teaching skills of the designer. Many people claim to offer easy instruction, but skip or eliminate steps that can often confuse the most experienced seamtress. I am a beginner sewer and I appreciate the time and consideration taken by a good teacher. I made these slippers in an evening and wore them the same night. When I showed my 78 year old dad my finished product, he smiled like a proud papa. Plan to make them as gifts for friends, family, and charity.

Jaime

thank you so much! what a wonderful comment to read. i am glad your slippers turned out so well and your feet are cozy!

Faye

Absolutely brilliant! Not only that, but they pretty, cozy, sooo “YES”!!!

I thank you … and my feet, thank too “)

Marina

Very cute but seem very expensive to make. The link for the Jiffy Grip is $58! Think I will just buy slippers.

grey bridesmaid dresses

I’m very happy to uncover this website. I need to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely appreciated every little bit of it and I have you saved to fav to look at new stuff on your website.

ArouctAfter

Inez and Vinoodh given back to Nyc permanently for 1995 in order to meet ever-increasing demands to deal with as paper photographers and these companies have been enormous in their outcome ever since. Using a team involved with loyal collaborators comprising the most developing stylists, fine art directors, hair and make-up animators, lighting advisors, models in addition to recurring super star sitters, his or her’s extensive all the list editorial additions includes high end fashion bands Vogue, Paris Vogue, Style Italia, S, Visionaire, Vanity Good, Harper’s Bazaar, Isabel Marant boots price L’Uomo Vogue, Trendy Hommes International, Pratique Nippon and Stylish China not to mention style periodicals Purple Clothing, Interview, 5, V Man, Self Services, Another, Burst, i-D, Fantastic Male and The Gentlewoman. Hot Isabel Marant Sneakers
Even when Inez and Vinoodh’s symbolism runs that stylistic gamut through high fascination to some portraiture and conceptual tableaux, found at its Isabel Marant boots cardiovascular is a special and Isabel Marant boots sale highly recognizable lexicon in playful present and intensive gesture. Invented largely in collaboration with the choreographer Stephen Galloway, it is this language that will consistently carries their snapshots from pure sartorial studies inside something transcendent and strange.

Return to Chicago

Earnest

Hi, I do think this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it 😉 I am going to revisit once again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

Pocket Hose As Seen On Tv Commercial

Low spots can ruin your gutters and may cause leaking.
The star of Young Frankenstein, Tootsie, and numerous other movies tells her
story of her rise from a dancer on Elvis movies to a big-name actress to late motherhood
and the onset of multiple sclerosis. When planning a market garden for a backyard or a few
acres, it’s better to specialize in just a few varieties to not become overwhelmed.

mrsben

Very cute! Thank you for the pattern and tutorial. As the design is very similar to ballet slippers would be ideal in a smaller sizing if dressing a little flower girl for a wedding. ☺ -Brenda-

Footnote: For those who wish to print the pattern and tutorial off —
using ‘legal’ size (format) paper it will take:
x 2 sheets for the pattern pieces (using one side of sheet only)
x 5 sheets for the instructions (using both sides of the sheet)
print pages 1 & 2 / 3 & 5 / 6 & 7 / 8 & 9 / 10
(Note: the script on page 4 for some reason is blank)

Sarah

The link you have to the $3 package of Jiffy Grip goes to a Jiffy Grip product on Amazon.com that costs $50 for an 11″x24″ board. Can you post the actual name of the product that you used? Thanks!

Lisa Roloff

forget that stuff. Cut the sole out in felt or Denham or fleese and then get a roll of the rubber cabinet liner from the dollar store and baste that over it. Nice and grippy and cheap as hell.

Nicki

I am having trouble getting the regular pattern to come up to download/print it. The baby slippers downloaded fine but the link to your regular pattern does not. Please email me a correct link or the pattern if you could please! I would love to make some. Yours turned out really cute!
Nicki

amudha

Hi,
Am Amudha from India. I would like to make this slipper but I couldn’t get this materials , can u guide me. If u get contact me its my great opportunity.

winter overcoat

Hey there, Nice write-up. There exists a issue along with your site within website internet explorer, may test that? Firefox on the other hand is the market place innovator in addition to a substantial part of folks will miss out on your fantastic composing for that reason dilemma.

Marilee Lindstrom

I just made these today and I love how cute they are and how easy they were to make! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I have so many pajama pants that I have made over the years that I can’t wait to make matching slippers for all of them. 🙂

Deana

Love your detailed instructions. However, I don’t see where to get the “pattern” for these adorable slippers. Would your, please, reply to my email address.

Darlene

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!!
I printed out your pattern and then just minimized the copy and made a smaller pattern.
Thank You for sharing this awesome pattern!!!!

Ruby

Hi
This is best tutorial on making a pair on slippers, that I have researched. I am interested in making a pair of slippers for gifts for my grandchildren. I brought a book on making slippers. Not as detailed in their instructions, as yours. Thank you for sharing!

Marina

There is not other words to tell you that … THANK YOU VERY MUCH! GREAT TUTORIAL, will be very useful for me!

Suzanne

Just gorgeous – looks like another project to try. We are now in Autumn (or should be – its still hot in Australia) but it will be lovely to make a pair customised to my mum’s small foot. So glad I found this website. Thanks again.

tops shoes

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out
your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you provide
here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed
at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow,
amazing blog!

Jenn

Love the pattern and plan on making several pair!
However the pattern does not print out as a size
9(I too have big size 9feet!!)my daughter thought it
might be a child’s size 9? None the less it should be
easy to size it up Thanks for the free pattern. Your
directions sound very easy to follow!

buy business lists

Heya! I’m at workk surfing аround your blog from my new iphone!
Just wanted to say I love reading yοur blog аnd lοok forward to all
yyour posts! Caarry οn thе excellent աork!