How to Make A Wristlet Key Fob

These little key fobs are such a fun way to use bits of pretty trim to make easy and VERY inexpensive stocking stuffers!

You just need a few supplies and a few minutes and you’ll have little custom homemade gifts for all your favorite ladies. And also, totally an appropriate handmade man-gift if you choose the right styles.

I love pretty ribbons. It’s so nice to get to use ’em and share ’em.

Learn How to Make A Wristlet Key Fob after the jump…

And remember to leave a comment on this or any/all posts this week – you could win a magical glitter assortment of joy.

How to Make A Wristlet Key Fob

-First you’ll need key fob hardware. I picked mine up at Amazon – 50 sets for $19 – so that’s 38 cents each.
-You’ll also need some cotton webbing. Since I bought 1″ key fob hardware, I picked up a few yards of 1″ cotton webbing at my local fabric store in a bunch of sweet colors. You can get 3 or 4 out of a yard, and a yard was 40 cents. So that’s an additional 10 cents per key fob. So we’re up to 48 cents each.
-Then you’ll need some pretty ribbon. Make sure it is thinner than your cotton webbing, so 3/4″ or less for me. Ribbon ranges in price but let’s say it was super fancy ribbon at $2 a yard, so that’s an additional 50 cents per keychain.
Total cost? 98 cents each. For a totally adorable homemade gift. Yay!

So assemble your supplies:

Now cut your cotton webbing and your ribbon into sections. About 10 inches is a good length for a wristlet, but I did some longer and some shorter and they’re all just fine:

Now cut lengths of fusible tape (I used stitch witchery). You can skip this step, but it does make it a lot easier to sew the ribbon on if you do this first, especially with fancy embroidered ribbons. So iron the ribbon to the cotton webbing with the fusible tape in the middle:

So there you have your ribbons all fused to your webbing:

Now you’re going to sew them on. You can use an edging foot if you have it, but I just used my regular foot and went slowly so I didn’t mess up. Was quite easy. You’ll also want to use a heavy duty needle (actually your regular needle will work fine, but it will become dull from sewing through the thick cotton webbing so you’ll want to change it after):

So then sew one side of the ribbon down, then the other:

Consider your thread color choices. Most of my ribbons had white edging, so i used white in my spool, then switched out my bobbin for thread that matched the cotton webbing (or as close to a match as I had in my stash) so you can’t see the stitching from the other side:

Quick note. I wanted to make one for Carleton Curtis but I did not have any ribbon I felt was sufficiently manly enough. I decided to use some fabric and ironed it into single fold bias tape, then attached as per above. Worked just as well as ribbon!

So there you have your ribbons all sewn to your webbing:

Trim the edges so they are nice and even:

Then grab your hardware. There is a clamp piece that looks like this:

It has two little pokey things that will grab your webbing.

So fold your piece of webbing in half with the ribbon on the outside:

You’ll notice my pliers have ridges. These left scuff marks on my fob hardware, so…

I wrapped them in duct tape (dearest duct tape, is there anything you cannot do?):

Problem solved!

So insert the ends of your cotton webbing into the clamp. Use your pliers to mash the clamp together, starting with a big squeeze in the middle:

Then a big squeeze on each side:

Repeat on all your key fobs:

Now the annoying part: Trying not to break your fingernail while slipping the key rings on the fobs. But carry on, I only lost one nail. Attach all your key rings:

Here is the man-version made with fabric (do you think he will like it?  would your man use one?):

Done!

What do you think? Not bad for 98 cents right??

Amy

Love this tutorial! Thanks so much for posting~ GREAT, EASY directions even for crafty beginners 🙂

Kat

Love the ease of the directions and yes, makes great gifts for anyone…will be making a bunch for teachers and family. This will make it so easy to get out of your purse or diaper bag, especially when your hands are full with the baby and other things…
Thanks so much for a fun new idea for easy and the cost of supplies meet my budget.

Rhoni T

I made these last fall as a fund raiser for our Mom’s club that works with the high school football team, we sold them for $5 each. We totaly sold out by the 3rd week, our 2nd home game. They were a big hit and we have request for more this fall.

Ginney

This is an awesome idea, thanks for sharing it. Oh and to avoid the broken nails, use a staple remover to open the key ring. Saves a lot of nails.

Irene

I found, on Pinterest, that you can use staple removers to hold open your key ring so you don’t break your nails!

Bobbie

I saw another pinterest post suggesting using a staple puller to open up the ring and hold it while you place keys on it, so should work for this too. Just an idea for you.

Keek

This is so awesome and looks so professional. Love your very straight stiching. I’m so anal about stiching. You did a fantastic job. I saw on Pinterest yesterday that you can use the jaws of a staple puller to spred the keyring. No more jacked up fingernails.

Carol

Made a couple of these this morning! So easy and super cute! Will definitely make more for people at work!

Cynthia

Super cute, makes a great favor or giveaway for a party or event too. May be making these for next years Women’s Retreat at my church. I was going to give the Pinterest tip of using a staple remover for the rings, but someone beat me to it. 🙂 Thanks again…

Jennifer

A staple puller will save your fingernails when putting the rings on. If you make them longer then they can be lanyards.

Ash

An easy way to not break a nail is to use a staple remover to pry it open til you get the ring in the hole. :]

Carol Sherman

I love this idea. We are having an annual meeting and these would make wonderful favors
Thanks

Barbara

Awesome idea and great directions. Is it possible for you to provide a link to the amazon page you ordered the hardware from?
Ha ing a difficult time finding you clamps and rings.

Pamela Thompson

Maybe you have already seen this but thought I would add how to get the key ring on the key fob without breaking your nails…use a claw type of staple remover to open those tight little rings. It will dig right in and save your nails! I saw this hint on Pinterest!

snb

If you wrapped the webbing in paracord, or still used a camo ribbon, then added things like a compass, led light, etc. you could tell hubby it is a survival key chain!

nicole

Hey I know that you can use a staple puller to hold open the key ring so you don’t have to break any nails. God Bless Pinterest for telling me that one.

Great job and I can’t wait to start making them. So simple.

Rochelle

Thanks for this great tutorial! PS you can use a staple puller to open the key rings to save your nails.

Valsma

I have one of these that was a gift from a friend in a quilt group I attend retreats with. I love this key fob. I haven’t misplaced my keys since I was given it. A bonus is she personalized it with our name and the date of that quilt retreat.

Mary Kay

So cute. I wish I had more time to do this before this holiday season!! Definitely on the list for next year.

Carol

Besides ordering the clamp online from ebay or Amazon, where could I find them at the stores. I have checked Hobby Lobby, Joannes and local hardware store. Any suggestions? I would like to just purchase a few at first before I order large quantity. Thanks for your time and love your blog.

Melanie

If you don’t mind me asking 2.5 years later… what store did you purchase your cotton webbing? We are trying to make a large quantity of these on the cheap for our local church group, and we’re finding the webbing to be a little more than 40 cents a yard… like $2.50/yard. Did you just do coupons, or what is your secret? Thanks in advance!

Brenda Gallaher

I love these key ring fobs. I plan on making several for Christmas gifts this year. I am sure they will be a hit.

questions about relationships

online free dating site are essential to our emotional well-being
and happiness. My particular tastes in TV programs have taught me one thing;
what an abusive women and men. What’s the secret to maintaining this relationship at the beginning of a relationship. What does your partner act around his/her friends and family members. He says he likes me and has considered dating me, but never mind, your body decides if they are recognizable. I love a cartoon that reads as follows: online free dating site: a mess worth making.

eMusic at

I think this is among the most vital information for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some
general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent
: D. Good job, cheers

Kristina

Do you think I can use nylon webbing instead of cotton webbing? I have a lot left over from other projects, so I hate buying new stuff.