I can remember spending entire childhood days building forts and then hiding out in there playing, daydreaming, and masterminding ways to keep my siblings OUT, but they were persistent and I usually let them join me in my little hovel built of blankets and computer tape. Does anyone else remember computer tape? That makes me feel old, but guess what makes me feel like a kid again? Building a fort with the entire family on a lazy Sunday. If it’s been a while, we highly recommend blocking out a few hours with the littles and creating a cozy cave in which to spend the day. This was the perfect reminder for us, and the kids, that even though we are all getting older every day, it’s possible (and a blast) to Never Grow Up in our hearts.
Everyone has a preferred method for building a fort but in our opinion there are 10 Musts for the Perfect Family Hideout. Can you guess what they are?
Let’s start with the basics to build your structure.
1. Blankets. All hideouts need a roof. They just do.
2. Chairs. You own at least four. They are highly portable and work well for the walls of a quality hideout.
3. Rope. Or computer tape if you were born before 1980 and tend to hang on to things. Run your rope across the room to create a tent-like structure, drape a blanket over and attach the corners of the blanket to the chairs. We love these Highland 9052000 Mini Bungee Cords.
Now that you have a structure, let’s make thing cozy.
4. Seats. For tired old grown-ups to spend time in a hideout, you need seating. We pulled out a few beanbags and our Anywhere Chairs and made things comfy.
5. Rugs. Cover the floor with blankets and rugs for a cozy home within your home.
6. Snacks. Must we explain? Obviously you need snacks. You will likely need beverages too, we will leave WHICH beverages up to you.
7. Lights. Twinkle lights, flashlights, and battery candles all make your hideout more magical as you wind down into evening.
8. A Sign. Since this was a family affair, we kept things sweet, but don’t be surprised when you are banned from the next fort by a big KEEP OUT.
9. Family. Leave your troubles and to-do list outside, grab a silly hat and enjoy a lovely afternoon with your beautiful babies in their tiny Never Grow Up world.
10. Fun! Stock up with Movies, games, instruments, and books, and before you know it, it will be time to carry them off to Neverland.