You can make all of your adorable themed party hats, or you can create a fun activity by letting the kids decorate their own! Just construct the plain hats ahead of time, spread out a bunch of doo-dads and glue and glitter and what-not, and let the kids go to town. Maybe give out a prize for the craziest hat! These were for Scarlet’s Circus Party, get the template and how-to after the jump…
2. I did this after I assembled my hats, but it will be easier to do before. Either just punch a hole for your ribbon or you can take the added step of adding brads. To do this you punch your hole, add a brad the size of your hole, then using this tool, hammer it in place.
3. Now roll your hat into a cone and glue it together. Leave a little hole at the tip of the cone for your topper:
4. To make your topper cut a piece of tissue paper approximately 6 inches long by 4 inches wide, fold it half length-wise and use scissors to cut strips, leaving about a centimeter near the fold uncut:
5. Now roll it up into a tube, scotch tape around the uncut bottom, and fluff the strips:
6. Tuck that into the hole at the tip of your hat:
7. Knot lengths of ribbon and slip them through your holes, and decorate with anything you like! I used scrapbooking paper and a 3″ craft punch with some “S” for Scarlet stickers.
And why not make a complimenting flag for your cake with leftover paper and a skewer…