You can make all of your adorable themed party hats, or you can create a fun activity by letting the kids decorate their own! Just construct the plain hats ahead of time, spread out a bunch of doo-dads and glue and glitter and what-not, and let the kids go to town. Maybe give out a prize for the craziest hat! These were for Scarlet’s Circus Party, get the template and how-to after the jump…
1. First you’ll want to pick some paper, I used card stock but I think construction paper or even scrapbooking paper would be even easier since it will glue into shape better. Trace the following template onto your paper for however many hats you want, then cut them out:
2. I did this after I assembled my hats, but it will be easier to do before. Either just punch a hole for your ribbon or you can take the added step of adding brads. To do this you punch your hole, add a brad the size of your hole, then using this tool, hammer it in place.
3. Now roll your hat into a cone and glue it together. Leave a little hole at the tip of the cone for your topper:
4. To make your topper cut a piece of tissue paper approximately 6 inches long by 4 inches wide, fold it half length-wise and use scissors to cut strips, leaving about a centimeter near the fold uncut:
5. Now roll it up into a tube, scotch tape around the uncut bottom, and fluff the strips:
6. Tuck that into the hole at the tip of your hat:
7. Knot lengths of ribbon and slip them through your holes, and decorate with anything you like! I used scrapbooking paper and a 3″ craft punch with some “S” for Scarlet stickers.
And why not make a complimenting flag for your cake with leftover paper and a skewer…