I was so disappointed! I spent a whole week in Minnesota and ate not a single tater tot. What the heck? I got home and decided I would just have to make my own HotDish. Is it healthy? Yeah, no. But it’s fun to eat! And kids love it! Get my Minnesota Tater Tot Hotdish recipe…
Tater Tot & Bacon Hot Dish Casserole Recipe
Tater tots, a big bag of ’em. Like 2 lbs or so.
Sharp Cheddar, shredded. About 2-3 cups.
Whole milk, 2 cups (or you could mix it up with some skim milk and cream)
Bacon, as much as you like, cooked and crumbled
Parsley or Chives, about 3-4 tablespoons chopped
1. Prepare a baking dish with cooking spray (or go full butter, I mean this isn’t health food) and preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Layer your tater tots in the dish, still frozen. (Note: You add cooked sausage first if you want extra meaty goodness)
3. Pour most of the cheese on top, reserve some. Mix it around with the tater tots a bit.
3. Whisk the milk and eggs together. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little onion powder and garlic powder for more flavor.
5. Pour the mixture over the tater tots.
6. Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the cheese is all bubbly.
7. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top and the crumbled bacon, then bake for another 5-10 until the cheese is melted and looking delicious.
8. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the chives or parsley, let it cool for a few then gobble it up.
Also, after you let it cool, you can cut it into squares and wrap each on in tin foil, then freeze. In the morning just microwave a square (without the tinfoil, obvs) for an easy breakfast.