It’s fun to customize a tote for a friend. This was for my sister-in-law who has an adorable Basset Hound with a unique pickle-shaped tail. These are so easy to make, you could make 5 or 6 and give them all to someone as a set, so they never have to use plastic bags again!
Get the How-To after the jump…
1. First get your supplies together. You’ll need fabric, scissors, a sheet of fusible web, an iron, a needle, and some embroidery thread. You can use any boring tote you have around the house or you can buy some, I stocked up on great colors for $.79 each at cheaptotes.com.
2. First pick a shape and draw it on your fabric, or if you aren’t so great at drawing, print out a picture, cut out the shape, and trace it onto your fabric. Cut a big square around your shape (don’t cut the actual shape out yet).
3. Iron your fabric to one side of the fusible web. Done with that? Ok, now you can cut out your shape exactly how you want it to look.
4. Place your shape on your bag, find just the perfect spot for it. With the fabric right side up and the fusible web facing your bag, iron it on. Doesn’t it look cute?
5. You don’t want your cute applique to fall off, so let’s do a nice stitch around it. Gives it some homemade charm too. Use a blanket stitch, I didn’t take any photos but here is a good tutorial to follow.
Now go shopping 🙂
I used Kokka Fabrics Solitude in Navy Snow Birds which you can still get at PurlSoho
This looks just like Piper! I love this bag. When I was working, I would use this bag everyday!
Thanks for finally talking about >DIY Applique Shopping Bag
| Pretty Prudent <Loved it!
Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually realize what you’re talking about!
Bookmarked. Please additionally visit my website =).
We will have a link trade agreement between us
Hi there! This article could not be written any better!
Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He continually kept talking about this. I’ll forward this
post to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a great read.
I appreciate you for sharing!
I’m really impressed with your writing skills as well as
with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one today.
Ƭhanks νery nice blog!
Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this
website, and your views are nice in support of new visitors.
I’ve been browsing online more than 4 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like
yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In
my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.
Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to
my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and
screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had
to tell someone!
Hey! This is my first comment here so I just wanted
to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely
enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums
that cover the same subjects? Appreciate it!
I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger lovers
however this article is genuinely a nice piece of writing, keep
Now I amm going to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming again to read other
Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other
websites? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and
would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my
subscribers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot
me an e mail.