How cute is this little guy? Rachael from Imagine Gnats is here with this sweet DIY Felt Raccoon Coffee Cozy. It’s a perfect project just in time for fall. You could show it off with your DIY fox scarf too. Along with her tutorial, Rachael has also provided the free pattern so you can just print out, cut out, and start sewing.
Be inspired to make more of Rachael’s projects by checking out her skirt tutorial for mamas and her new embroidery pattern. Be sure to also take a peek at her shorts on the line event that took place this summer.
Let the sewing begin with the DIY Felt Raccoon Coffee Cozy with free pattern after the jump…
DIY Felt Raccoon Coffee Cozy (with Pattern)
i’m happy to be here sharing the tutorial for this raccoon felt coffee cozy… this cozy was inspired by my general love of the idea of a raccoon. have you ever come face-to-face with a real live raccoon? i can tell you (yes, from experience) that stitching up one of these fun coffee cozies is much more enjoyable than meeting a real live raccoon, so let’s get started!
raccoon coffee cozy pdf pattern
felt (three colors)
coordinating embroidery floss (i used aurifil 28 wt cotton thread)
scissors, hand-stitching needle, water soluble marker
1. cut out all pattern pieces.
2. place pattern piece A on top of pattern piece B, both right side facing up, and pin.
3. whipstitch around all openings in the top layer as shown.
4. whipstitch remaining pieces (eyes and nose) on top of outer layer as shown.
5. trim piece B so that edges match up with piece A.
6. with wrong side of coffee cozy facing up, trim the ends of piece B so that they fall 1/4″ inside the edges of piece A.
7. with right side of coffee cozy facing up, mark lines to show 1/4″ seam allowance on right edge of both pieces A and B (shown above).
8. match left edge of piece B with the line you just drew on piece A. pin to hold pieces together, and whipstitch along seam.
9. repeat step 8 with piece A, taking care to bury thread ends in between layers.
10. get yourself a hot cup of joe and enjoy!
if you’re a fan of this guy, check out my raccoon felt needle book tutorial and other “raccoon is the new black” series projects.
happy stitching! (and sipping)
This is sweet! Thanks so much for this. (Living in the country, this is how I like my raccoons: made out of felt!)
very nice idea!
I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!
♥, doro von Hand zu Hand