Today I got to surprise the girls with the news that we are taking a getaway to Riviera Maya next week. To make it a little extra momentous (as if a trip to Mexico needs to be a bigger deal) I crafted up a couple of cute suede covers for their brand new passports. Um, they are excited.
We will be spending a long weekend as guests of Generations Riviera Maya for the debut of Little Eko Chefs, a first-of-its-kind program, incorporating historical and cultural facts, eco-friendly food basics, and hands-on cooking opportunities. It sounds like a dream for foodie families like mine (my girls love to cook, bake, and eat, just like their mama.) After this launch weekend, the program will be held every weekday at the Little Eko Kids Club.
Hosted by MasterChef Junior’s Season 1 Winner, Alexander Weiss, The Little Eko Chefs weekend is offered complimentary to guests staying August 15 – 17, 2014. All Little Eko Chefs participants will be awarded a special certificate after completing the class – offering them a personal memento of their vacations and testament to their new gastronomic skills!
If you are thinking about joining in the fun, here’s a video that Jaime made when she visited Riviera Maya a few years ago, I hope we can sneak away to Tulum!
These little passport covers were the perfect way to surprise the girls with the news of our trip. Read on for the simple steps to make a few of your own.
1. Using a scrap of suede, cut one rectangle, 7.5″x5.5″ and two rectangles 2.5″x5.5″
2. Glue a 6″ strip of trim, 1.5″ from the right side of the 7.5″x5.5″ rectangle.
You know, from one of the dozens of trim packs you impulse bought at Michaels and Target.
3. Position the small rectangles on the back of the large rectangle, as shown.
4. Without pining, stitch all the way around the outside of the piece. I used my walking foot, a sharp universal needle, a 4.0 stitch, and sewed very slowly without incident.
5. Snip the edges of the trim.
Pack your bags, jet-setter! It’s time to take off!
You are going to have such a blast! Bring back a cute dress for Scarlet that matches Clare and Quinn!
[…] You’ll find the tutorial over at Prudent Baby! […]