High Low Skirt Pattern: Sheer Gathered High-Low Skirt Tutorial – It’s the perfect layered look for any time of year.
We’ve had some sunny days here in Los Angeles, which I’ve been fully embracing with tank tops, flowy skirts, and sandals. When I spotted this Sheer Gathered High-Low Skirt Tutorial from Cotton and Curls, I knew it would be one of my staples for spring. I’ve seen skirts like this in stores, but making it seems so much better! If you’re feeling the winter chill still, you can wear this cute skirt with a pair of colored tights or high boots.
Get the full Sheer Gathered High-Low Skirt Tutorial after the jump…
Sheer Gathered High-Low Skirt Tutorial
I love the fit and flow of these skirts, especially when they are made out of sheer polyester material, so feminine. It is easy, not one of the easiest to make because of the time commitment and the added lining, but the elastic waistband helps cut down on time and add to the comfort. I wouldn’t describe it as beginner, maybe intermediate.
I referred back to this tutorial! It’s the skirt version. Go there for the missing numbers in the instructions.
1. Cut out 2 rectangles, one sheer fabric and one lining. The sheer material, like rayon, should be at least 1.5 – 2.5 yards long and as wide as your waist to the floor. Make only a yard long or at least as long as your hips are wide. You want this less long because it will create more bulk the more fabric you have. There is no PDF sewing patterns or Skirt patterns needed for this. The pattern pieces are so simple. Just see the diagram below.
2. Sew the two ends of the skirt part together and lining part together to make a couple skirts or tubes more like it. Pin it if you need to.
3. Cut the skirts into a taper. Do this by laying the bottom flat so the front of the skirt is facing forward and the one back seam of the skirt is facing backwards. Make sure the under skirt lining is cut a few inches above the sheer top skirt.
6. Gather the top of the lining and the skirt and sew them together with a straight stitch at the top edge. Gather them to be as wide as your hips, the elastic should be as wide as your waist measurement.
7. Hem all the skirts as desired. Maxi length in the back and longer than knee length in the front.
12. Measure the elastic to fit stretched comfortably around your waist. Mark the elastic and the raw edge into fourths. Match up the markings. Sew on the elastic while stretching it to line up on the markings.
Here is a template describing how to cut the fabric. You could also add a ruffle.
Did you like High Low Skirt Pattern: Sheer Gathered High-Low Skirt Tutorial? Looking for More DIY Sewing tutorials for you?
Posted 2/13, updated 10/22