Here’s how to make some Sugar Cookie Cake Toppers for your summer parties at home!
Looking to add some spark to your Summer shin-dig? These edible cupcake toppers, made from sugar cookies, can go from cute to sophisticated depending on the party. If you are a geek for dessert decorating and you’ve found yourself debating whether to make cookies or cake, here’s a way to show off your skills with a little of both, but the secret is that these can be made with little decorating skills at all. Shhhhh. The kiddos will go crazy for these tiny cookies on a stick. What is that about kids and their love of food on a stick?
Gather your supplies…
• A batch of your favorite cupcakes or brownies. You can even buy them (sneaky)
• Sugar cookie dough. Martha Stewart Ideal Sugar Cookies recipe is my favorite.
• Toothpicks (or party forks to support larger cookies) No need to soak them!
• Parchment Paper
• Cookie Cutters and basic baking tools
• A Batch of Royal Icing or Store-bought Wilton Cookie Icing and sprinkles
• Decorating tips and bags (optional)
1. Roll room temperature cookie dough out to 1/4-1/2″ between 2 sheets of parchment paper
2. Place in freezer for 10 minutes
3. Peel parchment paper from both sides and cut shapes with cutter
4. Immediately insert toothpicks into bottom of each cookie shape. It’s important to work while the dough is cold.5. Place all cut cookies on parchment paper covered cookie sheet and chill again. Chilled cookies maintain their shape when baking.
6. Bake as directed until just before edges brown. Don’t you hate directions like that?
7. Let cookies cool on sheet at least 10 minutes and move to cooling rack
Now for decorating your sugar cookie cake toppers:
Draw an outline on the top inside of the edge to avoid run-off.
Fill in the shape. Use a toothpick to fill holes and pop air-bubbles
While icing is wet, dip in festive holiday sprinkles or add an accent.
Let dry in open air for at least 6 hours or overnight. Store covered.
Stick picks in cupcakes or brownies day of party
I hope you make some Sugar Cookie Cake Toppers for your summer parties at home!
Originally posted April 2013, updated May 2020