Does your little girl have a plethora of hair clips that get lost or scattered all over the place? I have found hair clips in my pillowcase, behind the toilet, in the refrigerator, and once in our dog’s food bowl. I need a hair clip organization solution. So, today we are going to turn this storage problem into something pretty by showing you how to make a framed hair clip board with lovely fabric. Now those clips will also be a work of art of sorts. And you could also use your board to display photos, cards, or maybe even earrings?
Colleen from Thumpkin (so cute, check it out) whipped up this beauty and is going to show us how to make a hair clip board after the jump…
How to Make A Beautiful Board for Organizing Hair Clips
- 11×14 piece of 1/8-inch plywood
- 11×14 picture frame
- 11×14 sheet of 1/4-inch foam
- Hot glue gun
- Staple gun (with 1/4-inch staples)
1. Cut a piece of 1/4-inch foam to 11×14 and hot glue it to the piece of plywood.
2. Cut out a piece of fabric to 13×15 so that it will cover the top of the board with extra to staple down in the back.
3. Staple gun the fabric to the board. Use only very few staples since you will be stapling all the ribbon down over the fabric.
4. Flip the board right side up. Hammer the ends of the staples down so that they do not pop out of the fabric. Make sure to hammer very carefully so that the staples do not poke through the fabric.
5. Measure out the number of ribbons you want to use. In this case we cut out 7 pieces of ribbon (Five 15 inch pieces and two 18 inch pieces). Place the pieces of ribbon where you would like them to go. With the 15 inch pieces, we placed the outside ribbons down first at about 1 1/2 inches in. Then, we left about 3 inches between the other three ribbons. For the 18 inch pieces we placed them about 2 1/2 inches in from both edges.
6. Staple down the ribbons. Hammer down the staples again very gently.
7. Optional:You can choose to paint the frame you have or keep it as is.
8. Place the hair clip board into the frame and start putting up those clips!
9. You can even make your little one a matching bow!