A Cup of Coffee Cake (in Under Five Minutes)

I don’t love chocolate. BLASPHEMY I KNOW! It just doesn’t do it for me, what can I say? I do, however, love me some cinammon. And some crumbles. And some crumb-topping, if you will. Can I get a what what? Is anyone with me?

But okay, I don’t always feel like making a giant coffee cake and eating it for three days straight until it’s gone. No, wait, that’s a lie. I do want to do that, but it’s really for the best if I can just make a single-serve coffee cake. Reduces temptation, right?

So I messed around with ingredients, a measuring spoon, and a microwave, to see if I could create a crumbly, cinnamony coffee cake in a cup that could be made in a microwave in about five minutes at 11 p.m. while i watched The Notebook for the 5,000th time (hey girl, don’t even try to pretend you don’t love Ryan Gosling, I won’t hear it). I think I’ve come up with a decent substitute for coffee cake, considering the small amount of time and effort that goes into it. Give it a try and tell me if you disagree.  But again, don’t try to disagree with me about Ryan Gosling.

Get my five minute cup-of-coffee-cake recipe after the jump…

While you’re at your microwave, head on over to Jaime’s Lazy Late Night Cooking Corner on our YouTube channel for more microwave treats like, Single Serve Cinnamon Roll, Rice Krispy Treat, Blueberry Cobbler, and Strawberry Shortcake for Two.

How to Make Five Minute Microwave Coffee Cake in a Coffee Cup

Well, first you’ll need a cup. If you want it to puff up over the top of the cup, use a small one. Or if you want to dig into the cup, use a big one. It matters not.

Add a tablespoon of butter.

Soften it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Don’t melt, just soften.

Stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar until it’s fluffy and creamy, maybe 30 seconds.

Now you can add some egg. you don’t have to, but without egg it’s more crumbly and less cake-y. You can do a whole egg, but I like to break the egg into a ramekin and stir it up, then split it between two cups of coffee cake, or just use half for one coffee cake. But really, play it by ear. Try it out and see what tastes best to you.

Then stir in 2 tablespoons of sour cream and a few drops of vanilla. We’re talking droplets here, don’t add too much.

Stir in 1/4 cup of flour and 1/8 teaspoon baking powder.

If you want some crumb topping (you know you do), in a separate ramekin or bowl add 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Smoosh it together with your fingers for a few.

Now back to your cup. Your ingredients are all mixed up, so…

Add the crumb topping mixture to the cup…

Then microwave it. Start with 1 minute, then do 10 seconds more until it’s done to your liking. For my microwave, a minute 20 seconds does it perfectly.

It will be REALLY HOT when you take it out of the microwave.

Let it cool down for a few seconds, then dig in.

This is basically a start for a quick microwave coffee cake in a cup recipe, you can adjust to your own tastes and liking, since this is a serving for one after all. I like it just like this, but my husband doesn’t mind it without the egg. You may want more of this or less of that to suit your tastes. I look forward to hearing any adjustments you make and finding out if cake in a cup seems worth it to you. Ok, now i’m hungry, off to find my measuring spoon and a clean cup.

Now, if you don’t have the ingredients or want to try something even faster, check out our 2-Minute French Toast in a Cup or our Single Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie and get your munchie on.

Stephanie

Yummy! I made it gluten free by subbing a blend of almond meal and gf flour, and used coconut milk and a dash of acid to make it dairy free. It came out fairly fluffy. Not bad for a microwave!

I doubled the recipe in a jumbo mug – It took a lot longer than a minute of course, and cooked pretty unevenly – but that’s my fault, not the recipe’s =)

Anthony

Just made this. Tastes delicious. Looking for a way to make it bit more moist. It took about 2 minutes 30 seconds microwaving and came out a little dry on top. Otherwise, it was a great dessert!

Mackenzie

It was so good. Mine tasted like the trader joes cinnamon coffee cake! I used French vanilla yogurt instead of sour cream and vanilla, I used one egg for two mugs, and I added 1/4teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter.

Tasha

We added dark chocolate chunks to the batter and then topped the cake with caramel…so yummy!!!

Shannon

Coffee cakes don’t have coffee in them, they are called coffee cakes because they are often eaten with coffee.

Rhiannon

Is this an American thing? In the UK when we say coffee cake we mean cake with coffee in it…

Onna

I didn’t any eggs or sour cream at home so I substitute it for the vanilla yogurt, I used 2 11/2 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt added cinnamon sugar to the mix and microwaved for 2 minutes and it came out pretty good

CandyH

I didn’t use an egg nor sour cream. I used chobani low fat plain Greek yogurt and the remaining ingredients were the same. I must say that it was delicious.
I am going to try this with lemon extract and also may try to substitute the sugar with stevia. Healthier and lighter in calories will let me make doubles heheheh. Love this recipe

Shannon

I made this, but for the crumble topping I used twice as much butter so it melted in the microwave. Then I mixed it in with the cake. Heaven in a mug.

sadie

it was delectable! i ran out of sour cream so i used tractor joes blueberry yogart. I also added some cinnamon to the batter. Yummy blueberry coffeecake!!!!!

Hannah

This was very delicious! I enjoyed making it with a minimal mess, and made it without the egg, and it’s still moist and fluffy. This was a great idea!

gwendolyn

I literally tried this thing twice and i still can’t get in right! What is wrong with me?!

Wiggle Worm

I used an oversized mug and after the first minute it was already all over my microwave…lesson learned: either watch more closely or use a bowl…but what was left was pretty good considering it was a microwave cake.

greatestcoffecakein5minutes

Was simply amazing, on round 2 I added a bit of cinnamond to the batter and some chocolate chips it made it doubly amazing!

Liz

Was hungry and wanted something sweet. I’m not a big chocolate person either. Coffee cake is right up my alley. I didn’t have sour cream so I used softened cream cheese instead. More cinnamon and brown sugar. I used a whole egg because I’m lazy and I could tell it was too eggy but still delicious. Will definitely make again. I also enjoyed your writing. Usually on other blogs I’m like shut up and give me the recipe already. With your seen in a hurry I read it and had a few chuckles. Thank you!

Liz

I meant with your writing even in a hurry haha =] apparently I was typing in a hurry too.

Lauren Ngyuen

Love. Love. Love this recipe!! Totally amazing when you don’t want too many calories for your Sunday night dessert….